Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Proper Behavior

Not too long ago, I was eating in a rather fancy Italian restaurant where the tables are very close together. The group of people at the table next to mine were talking about something that was unmistakably related to a radio show that I listen to. I wanted to join their conversation, but I felt that it would be considered inpolite to do so.

I disdain the idea that a culture would value politeness over friendliness. Talking to strangers is fun, and occasionally it can yield an exchange of valuable information. I wanted to offer the group of people at the table next to mine a recommendation for a restaurant that I thought they would like. Thanks to my culturally induced reluctance to talk to them for fear of being improper, they may not try it anytime soon.

No comments: